Re: p2p programs

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 08:13:36PM -0500, Gerald Livingston wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:52:40 +0200 Gytis <gytis@tainet.lt> wrote:
> > So , could all of you share your opinions about p2p software under
> > linux? I'm interested in kazaa and winmx networks ( edonkey for me
> > works fine under mldonkey). I used lopster as an alternative to
> > winmx, but now it can't get conected to winmx redirect servers,  and
> > normal winmx server give me an Server error ( winmx fixed something
> > ?).  And as for kazaa i haven't found any working program ? ( smthng
> > mentioned in mldonkey cvs but ...).

Incidentally, there were two Linux clients for Kazaa for a while there;
giFT worked, and Kazaa even released an officieal Linux/x86 client.  The
official one got pulled and the protocol encrypted when they got bought
out tho.

> Are there any linux p2p clients that multithread downloads the way KaZaa
> does on a win platform. Ie. find 6 or 8 different sources for an
> identical file and download a small piece from each server, effectively
> increasing download speed to the max your inbound pipe can handle. I use
> qtella right now but even if there are 10 different sources for a file
> that all match (name/size/etc.) it only downloads from the one source
> you direct it to.

I think LimeWire does this.  Based on gnutella, but it doesn't murder
your bandwidth handling searches.

-rob