Re: install cd hanging at boot on checking partitions

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 04:15:09PM -0700, Kendall Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using isolinux woody cd, the boot hangs after:
>
> something ttyS01 something
>
> If I boot with bf24 to use a 2.4 kernel, it hangs after:
>
>  hdc: something 70324/16/63
>  /dev/ide/something same as hdc [PTBL] 4298/255/63
>
> (The actual cylinder counts are different than I print above).
>
> Now, I don't know what to do.
>
> Installing gentoo, though I got slightly farther.
>
> Assuming that I'm going to go with debian, I will describe what
> happens in gentoo since it's all at the non-distribution specific
> level.
>
> I installed gentoo on the drive (actually it was attached to my
> current debian system at the time), upto just before I install a boot
> loader.
>
> If I try to install grub by typing "grub", the computer hangs.
>
> So, I tried lilo instead and included:
>
> lba32
> image=/boot/vmlinux
>    append="hdc=4298,255,63 hdd=cdrom hde=cdrom"
>
> Now, I no longer get the [PTBL] message, but it still hangs after the
> last drive.
>
> I have a pentium 3 on a via chipset mb and a maxtor ata100 pci ide adapter.
>
>  hda: maxtor 40GB
>  hdb: maxtor 120GB
>  hdc: maxtor 40GB
>  hdd: cdrom
>  hde: cdrom
>
> hde is on the ide adapter. hda and hdc are the same drive model. linux
> is installed on hdb in 3 partitions.
>
> I tried different kernels also: 2.4.18 and 2.4.20-pre10-ac1, but I get
> the same results.
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Kendall

Some ideas might be:

1. If you are handy with hardware you might disconnect the cdrom
   on hde in an attempt to identify the cause by elimination.
2. Look for lilo test and simulation flags. I don't remember that
   myself nor can I tell exactly what good will they be: you'll have
   to read the documentation for that.
3. Try and compare the boot messages that Gentoo installation process
   show to the one that Debian bf shows.
4. Try series 2.2 bf.

--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t