Re: Cable for home network?

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 06:19:43PM -0800, Abner Gershon wrote:
> I am planning a home ethernet with one Windows and one
> Linux Potatoe computer with a hub. My installed
> ethernet cards are 10/100 and I would like to use the
> higher 100 speed system. My cable options are 100 kHz
> or Cat 5e in either: "PVC solid cable" or "Plenum
> solid cable" or "Stranded cable" or Cat 6e in PVC
> solid cable. The maximal cable distance would be 100
> feet. Any recommedations? Thanks.

Sounds a lot like my set up at home.  I am using cat5 cable, with
a slight catch.  I didn't want to spend the cash on a hub.  And
part of it is I don't like hubs, they split your connection.
So I made my own cat5 cross-over cable.  This allowed me to run
a cat5 between the linux and windows machine.

The linux box has two 10/100 cards in it.  One connects to the
outside world, the other the windows machine.

Nothing is 100% secure, but I feel better using linux to run a
firewall.  And rather than two computers attempting to connect to
a Linksys "firewall/switch", I saved money only having to
purchase another 10/100 card.

Sorry as for the distance, I can't help.

Mark