Re: Compiling a new kernel

> bash-2.03# insmod ./es1371.o
> ../es1371.o: kernel-module version mismatch
> ./es1371.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.18pre21
> while this kernel is version 2.2.17.

Looks like you're not running the newly compiled kernel 2.2.18pre21, but your old 2.2.17. You can check what kernel you're running with
uname -r

Have a look at /etc/lilo.conf . There should be at least two image entries. Here is what I have:

image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux

and

image=/vmlinuz.old
label=LinuxOLD

These entries correspond to symbolic links. Check where they point. In my case, /vmlinuz points to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21. It should be the same in your case. If so, you can hit shift at boot time when "Lilo" appears, then type Linux (or whatever label entry you have), and it runs /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21.

If you make changes to /etc/lilo.conf, you must run lilo on the commandline for the changes to take effect.

All this is normally taken care of at the end of the kernel build and install process. It asks you whether you it should run lilo. Maybe you answered no.

You can get more information with
info lilo
and
info lilo.conf