Re: setting up autofs

It was not easy to find out that autofs works out of the box for floppy and cd. It's behavior is not intuitive at all. I also made symlinks from /floppy to /var/autofs/misc/floppy and the same for /cd. But this causes the cdrom drive to rattle everytime I go to / in Konqueror, and ls / hangs. Besides, I still have to type umount if I want to remove the cd or floppy before the timeout for the automatic unmounting. This is not what I wanted.

When I had Mandrake I just selected supermount at install and it worked most of the time.

For now I returned to typing mount and unmount everytime I want to access a floppy or CD. Maybe I'll shorten it with an alias.

Autofs works for the nfs filesystem, so this is at least one plus.