Sound

After my initial install, I recompiled my kernel and had sound working
beautifully.  However, at startup, esd would start and I'd have to
manually kill it because xmms would complain that /dev/dsp was busy.  I
finally grew tired of manually killing the process and removed esd from my
X-Windows config and the start-up routines.  Now my sound is screwed.
Whenever a sound hits /dev/dsp, it continually repeats only about the
first second of whatever the sound is (be it an mp3, Windows startup via
Win4Lin, etc.).  I'm at my wits end as to how to make this right, and I
need some help.

Here is how I get is all started at startup:

modprobe mpu401
modprobe ad1848
modprobe apl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io=x530 mpu_ip=0x330 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=1
modprobe opl3 io=0x388

Here's the (somewhat edited) results of lsmod:
Module           Size    Usedby
opl3             11304    0
opl3sa2           4176    0
ad1848           16752    0
uart401           6320    0
mpu401           19184    [opl3sa2]
sound            57408    [opl3 opl3sa2 ad1848 uart401 mpu401]

So, all of the modules are loading.  /proc/interrupts doesn't show any
problems:

       CPU0
 0:   732003         XT-PIC   timer
 1:     5583         XT-PIC   keyboard
 2:        0         XT-PIC   cascade
 3:     1178         XT-PIC   eth0
 5:        4         XT-PIC   MS Sound System
10:        4         XT-PIC   i82365
12:     8253         XT-PIC   PS/2 Mouse
13:        1         XT-PIC   fpu
14:     5509         XT-PIC   ide0
15:        7         XT-PIC   ide1
NMI:       0

When I boot without the sound modules, the only thing that changes in
/proc/interrupts is that IRQ 5 is available.  So, I feel fairly confident
that there isn't an IRQ conflict.

Here's my cat /dev/sndstat:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux firestarter 2.2.18 #7 Sun Mar 25 07:20:56 CST 2001 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: MS Sound System (CS4231) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 0.0  Midi interface #1

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: OPL3-SAx and AD1848 (through MSS)
1: MS Sound System (CS4231)

So, as far as I can tell, everything /should/ be working.  If someone can
PLEASE give me advise as to how to correct this, I'd really appreciate it.
I've been chasing this problem for days now, and I'm no further along now
than I was when I began.  (And, I should probably mention, that this is on
a Gateway 2500 Solo laptop.  Sound, as configured above, is working on
RedHat 6.1.)

Thanks!  If I need to provide further information, just let me know.
--
steve