Re: how to format a floppy in ext2

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:30:46PM -0500, Holp, John Mr. wrote:
> I just did a cat on /etc/fstab to see how my Debina 2.2.17 machine "sees"
> the floppy.
>
> /dev/fd0	/floppy	auto	defaults,user,noauto	0	0
>
> is the entry in fstab.
>
> I then popped in a blank floppy and did;
>
> mke2fs /dev/fd0 /floppy
>
> Then did;
>
> mount /floppy

[ snip ]

> So it looks to me like everything is copasetic!  What is the problem?
>
>> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you shouldn't format mounted
>> drives.  You can only mount when there *is* a filesytem, and creating

Well, uh ... did you read the other email?  You can't / shouldn't
format a _mounted_ device.  You formatted an _unmounted_ device and
then mounted it.

BTW, I don't see why you did "mke2fs /dev/fd0 /floppy" ... I think
"mke2fs /dev/fd0" would suffice.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.