RESOLUTION: Re: how can i determine why apt-get "keeps packages" back?

Hi Again List,

   I just wanted to post the resolution to this issue.  Thanks for all
   the helpful responses.

The problem was that i couldn't upgrade the packages that were already
installed, (gedit, gnome-utils, gnumeric)

The solution was to manually do:
apt-get --fix-broken install gnumeric -s  # could've used gedit or
gnome-utils

This showed that gnome-print needed to be removed, (why it didn't
automatically, i don't know, anyone?)

I then removed gnome-print and did a fresh
apt-get upgrade and everything went through smoothly.

I guess it boiled down to forcibly removing gnome-print so the upgrade
for gnumeric could install the newer "print system" (forgot the name
of the package) that it conflicted with.  Could this be attributed to
incorrect setup of the gnome packages, (Ximian)?  Hmmm.

Thanks sincerely for the help,
jereme