Apache mod_perl + mod_cgi in same directory

Is it possible to enable CGIs (shell scripts, C/C++ apps, etc.) and
CGI perl-scripts to both operate out of the same directory?  I know you can do
this if you add ".pl" to the list of extensions approved under the handler
"cgi-script"...what I want to be able to do is have perl-scripts handled by the
PerlHandler.

For example:  I want to be able to load both a CGI shell script and a CGI
perl-script into /home/user/public_html and have the CGI shell script handled
by mod_cgi while the CGI perl-script is handled by mod_perl.

Right now, I am able to have scripts handled by either the PerlHandler or the
cgi-script handler but not both in the same directory.  I suspect the reason
is that they are both CGI handlers so, given the configuration I am currently
using, Apache uses whichever handler is defined first for that directory.

I know that I can separate each type of script into their own directory and
handle them accordingly.  I would rather avoid that if possible for the sake
of flexibility.

Any suggestions?

robert a. jacobs