Installing Debian

I'm thrasing trying to get Debian installed like I like it.

I found the article:

http://www.linux.com/firststep/installguide/debian/
more helpful than the help info on Debian.org. It probably should be linked from the debian.org site.

I have a CDROM installed on the second IDE connector as Master. I don't find any kernel modules that fit this, so I assume it's part of the base package. Then once it's all installed, I go to play a music CD and it doesn't work. The error message says that the CDROM drive may not be installed in the kernel. Yet I can mount and read one. What gives?

Shawn Garbett