tdfx X driver is whack; can't boot 2.4.2 image

Hello,

Just upgraded to the latest X 4 (and the rest of sid), and I can't be sure X
worked since 4.0.2-2, but -11 is quite broken!  At 1600x1200, I get about 30
lines of garbage at the top of the screen- in the right colors, roughly- and
black for the rest of the screen, and the cursor is correct for a few seconds,
then becomes two horizontal lines.  If I leave it running for long enough, I
get all kinds of garbage in the cursor.

This is on a Voodoo 3 2000, dual PIII 450 with 2.2.18.

So, figuring it might work with a 2.4 kernel, I installed
kernel-image-2.4.2-pentiumiii-smp, but can't get it to boot.  I either get
"Unable to mount rootfs" with some variation on 301/03:01 (root is /dev/hda1)
or "Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream!", both right after
devfs tries to start.  I tried devfs=mount, devfs=nomount, devfs=only
root=/dev/ide/c0b0t0u0p1 and variations with and without noinitrd.  Can't get
root to mount at all.  Oh- and I have devfsd installed, but that's irrelevant
pre-INIT, right?

How is it that this binary kernel image package which Debian distributes
doesn't come with any kind of documentation on how to boot it?  (Yes, I looked
in its /usr/share/doc dir, and got kernel-doc-2.4.2 but had to search through
Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README.gz for nearly an hour just to get as
far as I did.  Also did dpkg -L devfsd but nothing useful there either.)

Please cc me if you reply.

Thanks,

-Adam P.