Re: Unidentified subject!

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 07:02:12PM -0500, Robert Silver wrote:
> Hello debian-user,
>
> Running debian 2.2.1 release version
> I have been wrestling with the install of two different Ethernet
> cards, an old ISA SMC card and a 3COM ISA card
>
> When I run kerneld It says don't do this refer to some kmod.txt
> file which by the way does not exist in the current install.
>
> I am not sure exactly how to move forward from this point
> I have wasted a day in and a half trying to get this to work
> Any ideas the Ether howto should be renamed how-not-to in my
> opinion. I am used to:
>
> modify the config.dep file
> with the appropriate hardware vendor alias line. e.g.
>
> and run
> imake config
>
> shutdown and reboot
>
> or something like that that.
>
> I really wish someone would let me in on the secret of getting
> these devices installed in this 2.2.1 version!!!

First of all use a descriptive subject heading when sending to the list.

Second many times these old ISA card are stuck on pnp or some off
setting that doesn't mesh with your setup.  Check "dmesg|less" to see if
the cards are being detected at all.  If they are pay close attention to
the settings of the card.  You may have to download the diagnostic disks
for the cards from the manufacture and change some settings on the
cards.  If they are not detected you don't have the module loaded or
support for the card compiled into your kernel.
hth,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted