Re: Progeny and Upgrading

Matt Grant wrote:
> I ran a apt-get update on my Progeny Beta3 pointing to
> ftp.us.debian.org/debian/stable

Why?

> Then I ran apt-get upgrade It found a whole bunch of packages that
> needed upgradeing.I said no

Good, cause we don't have a good reason why yet.

> My Question is will this wreck my system. I have wrecked a storm and
> a corel system because I wasn't satisfied with what I had. I like my
> Progeny setup so Iam asking you folks.

If you like your Progeny setup, stick with Progeny.  Find a friend
with a CDR and burn the Release Candidate 1 ISO images.

If you want to migrate away from a Progeny system to a vanilla Debian
system, then you need to bite the bullet and do a "dist-upgrade".  You
also need to sit down and get more comfortable with the basic tools at
hand: dpkg(1), apt-get(1), and apt(1).  Be prepared to rely on a small
Linux boot disc like your Debian Recovery Disc (disc 1 of the install
floppies), tomsrtbt (use google...I'm lazy right now), or the
Linuxcare Bootable Business Disc.

Don't come around asking if going from Progeny to Debian will break
your system.  Obviously it will to some extent.  Are you willing to
work to bring your system back to a state of your liking...

Just a note.  I have never been unable to recover from an upgrade or
dist-upgrade problem.  I know my tools. * HINT -- RTFM and get
comfortable with your system *

--
^chewie

Sorry about not signing my email...I can't get access to my
home workstation today. CCW-20010320