Re: Transferring Debian

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:36:42AM -0000, vdemart@supereva.it wrote:

> I've set up and tailored a terrific potato 2.2r2 + KDE2 on my laptop and now I'd like to replicate this same installation on my desktop via NFS.
> My question is: How can I copy a Debian installation from one partition of my laptop to another of my desktop?
> (I had a go at with "cp -R -d --target-directory=/mydir files", modified fstab, but, even if it works, from time to time UID problems emerge)
> Vittorio

You're looking for cp -a /path/to/source/files/* /path/to/target/, but as has been noted, that's not recommended on different hardware, especially something as different as laptop -> desktop. Install debian again on the desktop, but selectively copy the configuration files for user-end programs and packages such as KDE2. User-level configuration is done entirely in your home directory (/home/username), and I suggest copying that (using cp -a), but redoing most of the system-level config. It's good practice anyway; a desktop box is unlikely to stay constant in it's configuration.