Re: Debian with read-only /usr

At 10:22 AM 3/15/01 , you wrote:
I'm looking at NFS-mounting /usr for a largish number of machines, with the
basic idea that then I can just keep the binaries on the central server up-to
date and the workstations will all follow along with (hopefully) a minimum of
effort.  I'm a little concerned about apt, though...  I wouldn't expect it to
be very open-minded about /usr being read-only.  OTOH, I probably wouldn't
need to run apt very often on the workstations unless there's a change to
config file formats or an all-new package is being installed.

Any Debian-specific advice on running a setup like that?

Just remount it rw before you run apt. If you only run it every couple of weeks that won't be a problem.

Ben