ah1542 scsi CD probs, deb potato

Hello,

I've swapped a scsi cd I had (working fine, btw) in an old machine to a newer one.

Trouble is, when booting from the deb potato rescue floppy I get the following:

scsi0: Adapatec 1542
scsi: 1 host
aha1542.c: Unable to abort command for target 0
aha1542.c: Trying device reset for target 0
aha1542_out failed(2): aha1542.c: Unable to abort command for target 0
sent BUS RESET to scsi host 0
.
.
(this then repeats)
.
.
Vendor:              Model:           Rev:
Type:   Direct-Access                 ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

This cycle repeats through the other 6 possible ids, and at the end says:
scsi: detected 7 SCSI disks total

Then the whole thing repeats again...

aarrgghh!

I had this working before in the other machine - WTF can the problem be?

Thanks for reading this far if you have!

Martin