Re: Printer recommendations

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 05:43:29PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
| On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:52:00AM -0800, Chad Maine wrote:
| > http://www.linuxprinting.org has collected stats on this subject.  Should
| > give you a list of printers to choose from based on how well they work in
| > linux, if at all.  Of course, any postscript printer will work perfectly.
|
| beware that linuxprinting.org lists some non-postscript inkjets as
| `perfectly' supported, this is not entirely true as it may still be a
| absolute *NIGHTMARE* to make one of these miserable things work.

I haven't seen what it lists, but the HP DeskJet 6xx my roommate
bought worked.  (I don't remember the exact model, but it was a new
one in the 600 series).  I had PCL3 in it.  I was on RH at the time,
and had it printing just fine using printtool without any major
difficulty.  This was over samba (which I didn't know how to use).
The most time was spent trying to get connected through samba since I
had to figure out the linux side, then disabling his cheap win32
firewall.

DON'T get a "PPA" printer.  Those suck.  My friend has one and it
hasn't been pretty.  (Printing Performance??? Architecture, no
performance there!)

A PCL printer is just fine (PCL5 and PCL3 from experience) and much
faster than PostScript.

-D