Upgrade potato to woody with apt-get

I am running a currently upgraded potato.  I changed my sources.list, and ran
apt-get update.

My /etc/apt/sources.list looks like this:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

When I run apt-get -s dist-upgrade I get the following:

# apt-get -s dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  bind diald dialdcost dvidvi ftpd leafnode lftp libgnome-dev libgnorba-dev
libgtkxmhtml-dev libmng-dev
  liborbit-dev libqt2.2-dev linuxconf linuxconf-x netbase orbit perl-5.004
perl-5.004-base ppp pppconfig
  rsh-server rstartd smbfs task-dialup task-dns-server task-samba task-tex
telnetd tetex-bin tetex-extra
  tetex-lib wvdial
  cpp-2.95 cvs g++-2.95 gcc-2.95 gettext glibc-doc gobjc-2.95 ifupdown
libbz2-1.0 libhtml-tagset-perl
  libkpathsea3 libperl5.6 libsasl7 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 libtool
manpages-dev net-tools netkit-inetd
  netkit-ping perl perl-5.6 perl-modules strace wenglish
The following packages have been kept back
  base-config gnuplot gv koules libwine nmh plotutils rxvt t1lib1
task-x-window-system-core
151 packages upgraded, 24 newly installed, 33 to remove and 10 not upgraded.

And apt-get dist-upgrade looks like this:

# apt-get dist-upgrade
[...]
Need to get 52.0MB/52.7MB of archives. After unpacking 58.7MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

There seems to be a lot of needed packages being removed from my system and
not being put back through the upgrade.  It says it is going to dump 58.7
megs worth of stuff.  I mean, ppp, samba, the x-window core system... these
are all currently being used by me now.  I can't have them go away.  What is
this going to do to my system?  I'm not worried about the gnome stuff because
I use KDE 2.1, but the rest of the stuff I kinda rely on.

Now, maybe that won't be a big deal, as long as when ppp gets removed it
doesn't drop my internet connection.  Then I can just put the packages back
with apt-get install xxx.  But my 28.8 kbps connection will make it slow.

How do I get the system upgraded to testing (woody) without totally screwing
it up, as the above seems to indicate.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--

Stewart Jenkins...