Re: tulip and kernel 2.4.2

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, MaD dUCK wrote:

> also sprach Jacob Stowell (on Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:52:25PM -0500):
> > I checked ifconfig and it told me that my ethernet card has a base
> > address:
> > 0x7000 and an interrupt of 10.
>
> ifconfig tells you what? i/o addresses? that's news to me...

It's done that for about as long as I can remember. At least a couple
years.

> > When I type modprobe tulip io=0x7000 irq=10 it says that this is an
> > invalid io_parm.
>
> besides 0x7000 is clearly out of range. i would argue that your
> network card is at one of
>

> 0x200 0x240 0x260 0x280 0x300 0x340

Your statement would arguably be correct if the card in question weren't
PCI. the addresses you listed are correct for ISA cards. however, my Tulip
based card is at IO 0x6000, and one of my rtl8139 cards at home is at
0xb400... PCI cards have a higher IO address range.

> the easiest way: try them all. the card will only be found at the
> right i/o.
>
> martin

What I'm interested to know, is what does the module say in dmesg when
you try to load it, under 2.2.18 and under 2.4.2 when you just do a
'modprobe tulip'? What error does it give when you don't give anything, in
2.4.2?

-- Curtis Hogg [buckminst@inconnu.isu.edu]