Re: Debian quit booting

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 09:14:00AM -0500, - wrote:
| I have just the one floppy that was made during Debian installation..  I
| wanted to make another boot floppy while Debian was working but I didn't
| know how.

Here is how to make a new boot floppy :

Go to www.gnu.org/software/grub/  (the URL might be slightly off).  Go
to the download section and get the file grub-0.5.96.1-i386_ext2fs.bin
(a couple of the separators might be off).  Boot one of your other
Linux systems.  Run dd to install into a new floppy.

dd if=grub-... of=/dev/fd0

(I think you need a couple more options, read the docs on the web
site)

The boot loader you have just installed on a new floppy is called
"grub".  It works very well, and can even be (re)configured while you
are trying to boot (ie from the menu).  It is very easy to use.  100x
easier than LILO.

Edit the file boot/grub/menu.lst to suit.  You can have all your Linux
(even Windows, *BSD, and others) boot from the same grub setup.  When
you are happy with your setup you can even put it on your MBR with the
grub command

setup (hd0) (hd0,1)

assuming /boot/grub is on /dev/hda2 and the MBR is on /dev/hda.

Alternatively you can just always use the floppy to boot, but you can
forget about changing floppies since this one will handle all the
systems.

Also, make a backup boot floppy, just in case . . .  ;-)

HTH,
-D