Re: [ze_mil@club-internet.fr: X error]

Branden Robinson wrote:

> Would someone help this user for me?

Dear Laurent, for sure you will found a quicker answer to your questions in
the Debian mailing lists (for example debian-user =) instead contacting the
packages maintainers...

> ----- Forwarded message from Laurent Dubois <ze_mil@club-internet.fr> -----
>
> From: "Laurent Dubois" <ze_mil@club-internet.fr>
> To: <branden@debian.org>
> Subject: X error
>
>    Hello,
>
>    I'm a french Debian user and I've just reinstall my system (kernel
>    2.4.1).
>
>    But after installing Xfree86 4.0.2, I got a problem when I tried to
>    launch it :
>

>    X : cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), abording.
>

>    I don't know what is the problem so I ask you if you can help me.

Look if you have the package "xserver-xfree86" installed and if the symbolic
link in /etc/X11/X point to
"/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86"...

Next time your system is whining about some missing file, try looking on the
Debian packages page (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages), you will find
two form, with the second ("Search the Contents of the Latest Release") you
can find in what package the missing file belongs...

Hope this helps

Andrea