sound in potato

I haven't previously configured sound in Debian. Now, having watched
queries on the list, read the HOWTO and manpages, have had a go.

My soundcard is a PC128 and the cdrom IDE/ATAPI on /dev/hdc.
Kernel was recompiled, I enabled CONFIG_SOUND and
CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 and dmesg showed the card with the correct
parameters.

/dev/sndstat, /dev/audio and /dev/dsp showed as 'crw-rw----  root   audio'
which seems to be correct.

I added my user to audio and cdrom groups and then installed cdcd, cda
and xmcd to see if any was suitable for my needs (at this stage just
playing my C&W CD's). I have KDE1.1.2 on this box and kscd is also
installed.

After my attempts at configuration (cda and xmcd lean heavily towards
scsi drives), cdcd played as root, but not as user. cda and xmcd just gave
"cannot stat cdrom" as root and user. kscd played as both root and user.

/dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/hdc which shows 'brw-rw---- root   disk'

Although I believe this is dangerous, I put user in disk group. Now
cdcd plays in both root and user, but cda and xmcd refuse to do
anything other than give " ... binary permissions error. It should be
setuid root  .... have sysadmin correct"

/usr/bin/xmcd, cda and cdcd all show '-rwxr-xr-x   root  root' whilst
/usr/bin/kscd is '-rwxr-sr-x  root  cdrom'

Although I have sound, I'm far from happy. Can anyone help with my
concerns viz,
	a. How do I avoid having user as a member of disk group?
	    It is undesirable is it not?
	b. Setuid root I've never understood - is this in any way a
	    problem and how should I set it if at all?
	c. Volume on kscd is acceptable but poor on cdcd - I seem
	    to recollect postings about this.
	d. An example /usr/share/xmcd/config/cdrom for an ATAPI
	    drive would be helpful - does any one know a URL
	e. There are at least 8 more cdplayer progams on 2.2 r2 CD's,
	    I wonder which are found to be best.

Grateful for any help or pointers - hope there is sufficient brief
detail above to indicate what I've tried so far.

John.