Re: help dh_make + debuild (with orig source code) !

pelux@tiscalinet.it wrote:
>I get with every package an error compiling with debuild a debianazied
>regular source package converted with dh_make
>in fact (this is mplayer 0.11pre24) debuild says:
>

>dh_installdirs
># Add here commands to install the package into debian/mplayer.
>make install prefix=/tmp/mplayer-0.11/debian/mplayer/usr
>make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/mplayer-0.11'
>strip mplayer
>cp mplayer /tmp/mplayer-0.11/debian/mplayer/usr/bin
>install -m 644 DOCS/mplayer.1
>/tmp/mplayer-0.11/debian/mplayer/usr/man/man1/mplayer.1
>install: cannot create regular file
>`/tmp/mplayer-0.11/debian/mplayer/usr/man/man1/mplayer.1': No such file or
>directory

You'll need to create this directory first. Putting 'usr/man/man1'
(note, no leading slash) in debian/dirs is a handy way to do that.

You should be installing man pages in /usr/share/man rather than
/usr/man, though; you may have to tweak the upstream package to do that.
If it uses autoconf, then something like './configure
--mandir=\$${prefix}/usr/share/man' should work; if not, you're on your
own.

Alternatively, you could get the upstream makefiles to stop installing
the man pages themselves, and use dh_installmanpages instead (or
dh_installman with debhelper v3) to do it more neatly. It's a matter of
taste.

>it happends also with other packages!!!

dh_make isn't really intended to be "automatically create a package for
me", as the task is in general too complex to be automated, so don't
expect it to produce perfect results. It just handles some of the
tedious initial details for you. For more, see the Debian New
Maintainer's Guide and other developers' documents at
http://www.debian.org/devel/, plus the debhelper man pages.

>P.S. could u also xplain to me what is the difference between dh_make and
>deb-make?

dh_make works with debhelper, while deb-make works with a helper package
called debmake that predated debhelper and is now pretty much obsolete.