Re: Is it possible to downgrade a Debian system from testing to stable?

on Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 05:13:19PM -0500, Stan Brown (stanb@awod.com) wrote:
> On Sun Mar  4 13:34:34 2001 mike polniak wrote...
> >
> >Gavin Hamill wrote:

<...>

> >> I thought that this was one of the new features of apt 0.5, that it
> >> WILL downgrade when dists are changed? Maybe I
> >> misheard/misinterpreted ://
> >
> >	apt 0.5 is in unstable. From the man page:
> >
> >A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by
> >following the package name with an equals and the version of the
> >package to select. This will cause that version to be located and
> >selected for install. Alternatively a specific distribution can be
> >selected by following the package name with a slash and the version
> >of the distribution or the Archive name (stable, frozen, unstable).
> >
> >Both of the version selection mechansims can downgrade packages and
> >must be used with care
> >

> 	So, does this mean I'm screwed?
>
> 	Or, perhaps I could manualy ftp atp-get from unstable, use dpkg
> 	to install it, and try to downgrade?

I'd use caution.

If you *need* Oracle on the box, I'd pick my apps first and OS second --
downgrade to the appropriate level of Debian (even if that means a
reinstall of Potato) and go from there.  You can preserve (most) of your
current package selections via the 'dpgk --get-selections > file' 'dpkg
--set-selections < file' method, see various discussions on list or
webpages on this.