Re: No controlling TTY

> All of my /dev/tty* are chmod 666 and scp/ssh work from an xterm or vt.
>
> When I do a ps aux the TTY column is '?' where as the regular vt's and the
> apps running in a vt  are a tty1 and so on. I am curious as to what others see
> when doing this. (try M-! tty from emacs.) This appears to be the problem.
> With no tty against the xclients, x11-ssh-askpass can't work.
>
> Does anyone have and ideas?

Do you have /dev/pts/ filesystem? I suspect you don't.

22:16:53 pepper:~$ mount
/dev/hda3 on / type reiserfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620) <- THIS ONE
[SKIP]

Programs started from x terminal use /dev/pts/<number> as their controlling
terminal:

 8271 pts/0    S      0:00 mutt

PTS filesystem should be compiled in kernel; see "Unix98 PTY support" under
"Character devices".

See also /etc/init.d/devpts.sh and Documentation/devices.txt under Linux
source tree.
--
Alexey Vyskubov
(at home)