ssh or not to ssh

Ok, new scenario.  3 debian unstable boxes.  3 2.4.2 kernels.  3 boxes
all upgraded to latest dist-upgrade yesterday.  1 box will take ssh logins
the other deny.  I get the standard /etc/motd, then a line saying:

setgid: Operation not permitted
Connection to vanguard closed.

I've checked for permissions and options on /etc/ssh/ssh*, /bin/ksh and
home dirs on the machines.  The machine I can log into is nfs mounting
the home directories from one macine that I can't log into.  The other
machine I can't log into is also mounting the home dirs.  Both machines
are using autofs to do mounts, and are using the same auto.home files.
I coppied them from one to another to make sure they were the same.

Thought, solutions?

  Robert

:wq!
                                \_       that important!