Re: apt-get and dpkg broken

In <[🔎] 3AA448C4.438C270B@frontiernet.net>, on 03/05/01
   at 09:17 PM, Glen Snyder <snyderg@frontiernet.net> said:

>Joey Hess wrote:

>> Glen Snyder wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions. It turned out that the problem was with
>perl....I reinstalled the perl packages and everything works fine.
>dpkg-preconfigure is a perl script.
>-Glen

There seems to be a problem with apt and perl.  It seems to want to remove
and reinstall perl for no apparent reason when installing other packages.
I believe another user pointed this out on this list as well.  Perl is an
essential program for configuring packages and if the perl install hoses
(like mine did) then you have to install perl manually using dpkg.  I'm
glad I kept the perl debs archived.

Fred