Re: apt-get dist-upgrade -u on testing wants to uninstall 189 packages

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 07:22:22PM -0800, Tom Epperly wrote:
> When I try to apt-get dist-upgrade -u on testing, it wants to uninstall 189
> packages. This seems like a problem to me, but I am not sure how to report
> it.
>
> # apt-get install adduser
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   [...] perl-5.005 [...]

The problem here is some weird bug in apt's analysis of which packages are
mor important: it's deciding to remove perl-5.005 and keep data-dumper,
instead of the other way around, for some reason.

Easiest way to avoid this nastiness is to apt-get remove data-dumper
first.

Cheers,
aj