Re: It's MY computer, not Bill's!

also sprach Robert Tucker (on Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:02:37AM -0800):
> Didn't partition yet. Want to get all my ducks in a row and do everything at the
> same time. I've been gathering everything together...

then partition like this:

hda2      <swap>       your ram size
hda1      /            everything else

it's best for now.

> Never any experience with linux before. My DSL provider is PacBell and I use a
> Kingston card with an external modem and all is set up for W95. As for a 'routing
> table' ... huh?  I've been digging through the software here at Debian.org and
> have found tons of programs that seem to be what I want. Just can't seem to nail
> anything down though.

tell us about your windoze machine config. what is the output from the
command line command 'route print' ?

what protocols do you use? is this windoze 95? if so, what's listed in
the network control panel? what are the tcp/ip settings(*)?

if this is windoze nt, what's listed in the network control
panel/protocols and adapters? what are the tcp/ip settings(*)?

(*) tcp/ip settings of relevance:
       ip address
       network mask
       gateway/router
       dns servers

> All I know is is that PacBell said they only support W9x-2000 and can't help me
> with linux (or any other platform) and the people I have been able to talk to
> know what they read off a sheet of paper. 'pppoe'? My mail is pop3 and that's
> about all I know. Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant about this part...

pppoe and pop3 have nothing to do with each other. pppoe might only be
needed in germany actually, i don't know about PacBell. did you have
to install *anything* on windoze when you got dsl working?

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
never underestimate the power of human stupidity.