Re: Configuring NTP

Steve Witt wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Benjamin Pharr wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up NTP on my Debina server.  I installed NTP using
> > apt-get and then added several:
> >
> > server servername.com
> >
> > lines to the /etc/ntp.conf file.  It's been over a month, and my time
> > continues to wander and /var/log/ntpstats is empty.  I can't find any
> > errors in any of my log files.  Can anyone tell me what I might be doing
> > wrong.  Thanks!
> >
> > Ben Pharr
> >

> It sounds like NTP isn't really running. Something that I've noticed is
> that there seems to be a maximum time that your computer's clock can be
> off from what NTP thinks is the real time or else NTP just gives up. I
> can't remember what the error message is, or even where it is written to,
> but I have seen it enough times. I would suggest looking into ntpdate,
> which will let you set the time from your NTP servers and then restarting
> ntp which hopefully will pick up from there. I suppose that you've checked
> that you have connectivity to your time servers.
>
> It's probably something simple, I've got NTP running on about 30
> computers, both Sun and Linux, at work and at home and its never been too
> much trouble.

  there is an error message in either syslog or ntp has it's own log
files, I don't remember, they also appear on console (that might depend
on some settings, but I left the default settings intact, except of
servers).

  so check your log files (grep -i ntp /var/log/* for start), also check
is the daemon is running.

	erik