Setting configure options when using make-kpkg

What is the best way to select "configure" options when
compiling a package, such as pcmcia-cs, using make-kpkg?

I go into /usr/src and untar pcmcia-cs.tar.gz .  Then
I go into /usr/src/linux and run make-kpkg modules_image.
make-kpkg answers all the questions that ordinarily I
would answer if I ran "Configure".  Unfortunately it
doesn't answer them the way I want.  How should I set
things up so that make-kpkg will give the answers I want?

Thomas Hood
Please reply to jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk  (with '_AT_' replaced by '@').