Modem Supra Express 56i

Hello, I have installed the kernel of Debian on my computer and then I wanted to install the packages via FTP, but it's impossible for me that my modem be detected. It's a Diamond Supra Express 56i. A friend has told me that the problem is that the modem is intern and that can only run  with Windows. Is it true? Will I have always the same problem with internal modems? If I had to change the modem, I would also like that someone gave me an advise about the best choice.

Thanks,

Joan-Antoni