Re: manually installing mozilla plugins

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 04:36:46PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> > Just load it into mozilla. i.e., load the URL
> >
> >   file:///path/to/jre.xpi
> >
> > Mozilla will offer to install the plugin, and do a bunch of stuff then
> > hang. Then, you get out of mozilla, cd to the plugins directory and
> >
> >  ln -s java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
>
>     I tried this with the flash plugin, but I can't get mozilla to recognize
> it.

In the case of the java plugin (java.xpi), manual installation is a
pretty simple matter.  Put java.xpi in $MOZILLA_HOME/plugins and unzip
it (with the 'unzip' command).  Rename the resulting directory to
'java2'.  I don't know if that's actually necessary, but that's what the
mozilla auto-installer does.  Then run
ln -s java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
Java will now work.

Flash is even easier.  The flash archive contains 2 important files:
ShockwaveFlash.class and libflashplayer.so.  Just put them in
$MOZILLA_HOME/plugins and re-start mozilla.  Check the debugging output
when starting mozilla and you'll see that it detects the new plugins.

Often, however, a site won't detect flash simply because you're running
mozilla and it doesn't know how to handle the user-agent string (or
something braindead like that).  So it assumes that you're using a
completely incapable browser.  Often sites will have a link that allows
you to get their flash content even if they don't detect the flash
plugin.

This method has been working for me since...I dunno, several months ago,
and I update mozilla with a nightly build once a week or so.

noah