Unauthorized to run X server

i've gone thru the faqs and the X files (xfree86 docs) but i can't seem to find
out why i would get this error message when i want to start X:

rino@buzz:~$ startx -- -bpp 32

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.

i've checked on the ~/.Xauthority thing and tried to use xauth to "populate" it
(currently it's zero length) but it still gives me the same error message.
using xauth does not help as i cannot proceed with it because of the error
message.  i've move my /etc/sudoers out of the way because that's the last one
i was tinkering before i got the error message from X.

appreciate any help.  thanks.

--
Key fingerprint = 9DE1 5825 77B4 FF45 7485  D3EB DCCF DE48 09B6 4426

And a few words from our sponsor:

A vivid and creative mind characterizes you.