Re: OT: Re: C editor

Vishal Soni <vsonicmu2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Don't laugh.
>Say i want to compile a solaris binary on my linux box. Can i get
>asolaris c-compiler and compile it on my linux box?? it that possible?

Depends what you mean by "compile a Solaris binary". If you've got the
source code, then source is source is source; just compile it as normal.
Don't bother compiling a Solaris compiler, it's a lot of work and won't
help. If the source code isn't portable enough, you might have to fix it
up a bit, but that depends.

If you're asking how you run a Solaris binary for which you don't have
source, then look into the binary compatibility kernel module iBCS,
assuming it's a binary for Solaris x86. (Haven't heard much of iBCS in
ages - is it still the right answer to this question?)

>what about static and dynamic libraries, and /usr/include/* ?

For source you only care about /usr/include, as the libraries will sort
themselves out. It should be broadly compatible for well-written
programs.

For binaries you may well run into problems.