Re: anyone have a epson stylus photo 870 working?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 06:46:45AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:43:41AM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> >
> > I've a stylus color 880 (mmh, i guess is not a similar model, this model is a
> > 4 colors printer, the photo should be 6 colors), and have played with
> > pdq/xpdq and the linuxprinting stp driver (your printer is listed in the
> > supported printer of the stp driver).
>
> well i need to use lprng since i need other networked machines to
> access it as well.  pdq as i understand it is a daemonless localhost
> only thing.

Do you need to use lprng or just something that accepts print jobs over the
network?  If the latter, check out CUPS (packages cupsys, cupsys-bsd,
cupsys-client).  It prefers ipp (internet printing protocol), but (IIRC) it
also handles lpr-style network printing.

Like the earlier respondent, I've got an 880 instead of an 870, but the CUPS
drivers don't seem to care much about those details.  Just tell it you've got
an Epson printer and which of 4 categories the printer falls into, and it
seems to work passably well.  (Greyscale works perfectly, but color print
jobs come out horribly oversaturated (in the color-applied-too-heavily sense,
which may or may not be related to the technical definition of chromatic
"saturation") - except for the printer test page, where they also work fine.
I'm sure it's fixable, but I so rarely want to print in color, it's not been
worth my time to look into it yet.  Also, with the single generic driver,
some special features of the printer may not be supported.)  No external
software (gs, stp) is needed.

--
SGI products are used to create the 'Bugs' that entertain us in theatres
and at home. - SGI job posting