non-Debian package

Debian Warriors,

	Is there a general technique or utility that allows one to install a
non-Debina package on a Debian system?

	I am finding very sketchy information about a thing called
"alien"		syntax something like;

	alien package_name.rpm

	Will apparently convert/create a Red Hat ".rpm" package to a Debian
".deb" package	??

	I don't think apt or apt-get need or understand packages with the
.deb suffix.  So is it possible to use apt or apt-get on a non-Debian
package to install it on a Debian system?

	man alien, whereis alien, whatis alien, etc., etc produce no
indication of such a thing on my Debian 2.2.17 machine.

Thanks,

John D. Holp