Re: upgrading libc6 from 2.1 to 2.2 - trouble brewing?

David Purton <dcpurton@chariot.net.au> wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Colin Cashman wrote:
>> I have a vague recollection of problems running apps using libc-2.1 with
>> libc-2.2, so I thought I'd ask the list since I'm sure at least one person
>> has tried it. :)

You might be thinking of the problems caused when various undocumented
symbols in glibc 2.0 disappeared in glibc 2.1 - notoriously, that broke
StarOffice. glibc 2.1 tightened things up generally so that that sort of
thing became less likely to happen again.

>> Should I expect any trouble if I simply upgrade to libc-2.2? If so, what is
>> the best strategy to resolve those problems?
>
>Don't use me as a reliable source, but I think that this would be bad
>unless you were to upgrade everything to woody which uses libc6-2.2.2-1.
>
>I seem to recall that when unstable first went from libc6-2.1 to
>libc6-2.2 lots of things broke...

I think that was mostly due to other things going on at the same time: X
went to version 4 shortly afterwards. The libc6 upgrade broke
impressively little for such a major effort.