Re: Eek! X won't go away!

To quote MaD dUCK <madduck@madduck.net>,
# also sprach kmself@ix.netcom.com (on Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:42:15PM
-0800):
# >     $ startx <args> & exit
# >
# > ...which is what I use (do what I mean, not what I say).  I can
assure
# > you there are no console sessions on this box.
#
# this will kill my X immediately and log off. the only way i got it to
# work is by startx, ctrl-alt-f1, suspending, and then exiting.
# obviously though, X remained suspended...
#
# not even startx & sleep 10 && exit works.

Try 'nohup startx > /dev/null 2>&1 & exit', and replace /dev/null with a
logfile of your choice. If you omit it, "nohup.out" will be used
instead. Of course, you can keep it as /dev/null , but that might make
debugging more difficult ;)

I'd also like to point out that [G,X,K,W]DM is built for this sort of
thing ...

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)