Re: [OT] mutt colors vs. TERM types

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, will trillich wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 09:15:17PM -0500, Christopher Mosley wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, will trillich wrote:
> >
> > > when using mutt under termtype 'linux' (i.e. `setenv TERM linux`)
> > > mutt's headers and 'active selection' bars flash, driving me
> > > nuts. when i change to `setenv TERM vt220-color` it's a nice,
> > > calm green and blue, with no flash.
> >
> > Since vt220-color is not a "real" term type. Is this
> > the terminfo I (cmosley) gave you or someone quite a while ago for an
> > apple vt220 emulation - the problem being that you could not get color
> > using the standard vt220 ? Or maybe something you put together yourself?
>
> i'm trying 'xterm-color' and it's working pretty well in most
> instances. the most aggravating thing is when exiting LESS or
> VIM the screen is cleared. sometimes it's nice to ^Z out and
> still have some on-screen reference to refer to as i diddle
> around with a grep or locate or find, before hopping back in.
> with 'xterm-color' the scren is reset, all text erased.
> using 'vt220-color' vim and less don't reset the screen...
> and with 'linux' TERM, i get the flashing headers, without
> the screen-reset... which FM amd i looking for?

Well as you know it likely has nothing to do with your .muttrc which
was your original idea. I assume, since I have no problem
with mutt on linux console or in X using xterm,linux etc termtype,
that these problems exist using this mac emulator when telneting or something.
It must have something to do with the idiosyncrasies of this mac emulator.

I cannot tell you what specific attributes to compile in or leave out
of your terminfo, inorder to get both a non-blinking, non-clearing
screen when you shell out, or even if this is do-able - in light of the
mysteries of this particular emulator.  I can only suggest you putz around
trying various term types. So look in /usr/share/terminfo/*/* there are
are a gazillion term types to setenv TERM gazillion. Of Course focus
the vt* and xterm types. You can always add the ansi color strings if you
find a black and white term that works.

 If you would like to try a non random approach, finding the particular
terminfo strings that might effect these particular attributes and edit,
compile your own terminfo, there is a "terminal" usenet group.

Be forwarned there is no guarantee that either of these
approaches will have a successful outcome - but they well might.