Re: 3c905/network problems

Pete Meyer wrote:

> Hi all...I'm having difficulty getting my network card (3c905c) work under debian.  I've tried using the 3c59x driver (I was using the wrong one before).  It installs ok, but then DHCP won't configure the network.  I know that there's a server present, because that's how windows is configured.  I've also tried the 3c90x driver, but can't get it to compile.

I was recently trying to get a 3c905cx-txm working.  I compiled the
module as

gcc -c 3c90x.c -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer \
               -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 \
               -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=486 \
               -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ \
               -DMODVERSIONS \
               -I/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.18pre21/include

That compiled with no errors.  I installed the module, updated
/etc/modutils/aliases, did update-mdules and depmod -a.  No errors.
Still didn't work.  You have a different card, though, so maybe you'll
have better luck.  (You might not need the -DMODVERSIONS, I can't
remember.)

You should have a line like the following in /etc/network/interfaces.
You probably know that, but thought I'd mention it.

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Also make sure your BIOS setting for Plug-and-Pray OS is turned off.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager