debian on laptops

joe willson writes:
 > i have my laptop finally running fine but there are still a few things that's
 > annoying me.  first off everyday i start up, debian keeps on reading my
 > harddrive, i do a top and see that the program find is using like 16% of my
 > cpu!  i think this is cause by cron loading up, so how can i turn this off.
 >
 > second thing is since i don't have suspend working plus i have to boot into
 > windows sometimes i have to boot linux a few times a day.  the problem is
 > fsck starts scanning the entire partition when it reaches max mount count....
 > so is it a good idea to turn this off?

I changed the cron job for building the locate database (which is
what's kicking off on startup) to run in the very wee hours of the
morning, then leave the laptop on overnight. If you're willing to
forgo locate, you could probably remove it altogether.

As for the fdisk stuff, I switched to the 2.4.1 kernel and converted
my partitions to reiserfs. It makes the boot up go considerably
quicker, particularly when, in my case, resume fails to work
correctly.

Make sure you've got the laptop task installed. You'll also want apm
(or acpi if it's a newer laptop) in the kernel with the appropriate
daemon programs. Telling us the model of laptop would help too..

jim