mail configuration questions

Is there a single .*rc kind of file where I establish the info for my POP3 server (their DNS #, url, etc.) and that is referred to by mail, fetchmail, emacs, etc?

Or do I need to put that info in *each* .*rc file?

Retrieving mail via http is non problem, but I want to use emacs.

I've read a bunch of the 'Fine' Manuals, and pored over the fetchmail and emacs websites, but I'm just not seeing it.

Finally, if anyone has such an.*rc file which sets up a POP3 mail connection, I would love a copy.

Thanks again for the remarkable help, everybody.