Debian quit booting

I'm new to this list so I'm not sure if it's the right place for my
question.

I've been running 4 Linux systems, Debian Potato being one of them.
All systems are booted from floppies instead of LILO.   Until yesterday,
all systems booted and worked fine.

'Potato' suddenly quit booting up from its floppy and a screenful of
this notice appears:

       kmod: failed to execute /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-860a errno=

Since I'm not able bring up Potato, I don't know where to start
checking.   I'm reluctant to
reinstall but will do so if it's the only solution.  Is there something
I can pull off from the three
CD's to fix the problem?