Re: Lost linux partition

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 12:12:11AM +0800, #KUNDAN KUMAR# wrote:
| I boot from boot floppy only, no lilo... and the boot floppy stratightaway
| loads the kernel without any lilo prompt...... and then gets stuck at Kernel
| Panic: No root file system.
| I do have debian rescue disk under the c: and I try to boot from there.... I
| get a console....but running lilo has no meaning here....
| I am afraid its lost for ever... does NAV back up the partition table before
| repairing?
| Kundan

It's still not lost forever, just that lilo needs the partition table
to figure out where linux is.  (Note to others, NAV overwrote the
*partition table*, not the MBR)  Boot with your debian rescue disk.
At the console, run fdisk and set the partition table the way it was
before.  Exactly the way it was before.  Don't do any sort of
partition initialization because that would destroy the data on the
disk.  (AFAIK fdisk will only change the partition table itself)  Then
boot again from your boot floppy.  LILO/the kernel should then be able
to figure out where the root filesystem is.

HTH,
-D