Re: AFS/Heimdal/Debian

    Matthew> On 1 Mar 2001, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> 1) MIT does have a pointer to Kerberos at cryptopublish.org
    >> which you can grab if you want MIT code outside the US.

    Matthew> How long has this link been available?  And is it now
    Matthew> available from the c.p.kerberos newsgroup FAQ?  There was
    Matthew> no mention of it when I read up on sources for Kerberos a
    Matthew> few months ago.
cryptopublish.org  went up November 28.   I'll bug the maintainer  of the FAQ when I see him at the upcoming IETF.

    Matthew> How hard is a Heimdal->MIT migration?  Can I do it
    Matthew> without needing to manually repopulate the key DB?

Working on finding out for you.  Don't know off the top of my head.

    >> 2) You need to build your own Heimdal packages with krb4
    >> support compiled in if you want to use AFS.  Brian's packages
    >> are krb5 only.

    Matthew> Is this ever likely to change?  Is there any plan for a

I don't really want to maintain it but would be happy to work with a
maintainer if there were one.

You can build heimdal such that the kinit binary attempts to get AFS
tokens.

Brian and I were discussing this a few weeks ago, and the impression I
got was that he would rather keep the Heimdal packages krb5 only.
After all krb4 is really crappy and you don't want to be using it.
Sadly, AFS is sort of krb4 based for now.  Work is underway in the
Openafs community to fix this, but it is not moving along particularly
fast.

If you do get things working I would really appreciate a writeup of
how to get openafs working with Heimdal to include in the package.