~/.xsession causes X to restart (infinite loop)

> To quote Xucaen <xucaen@yahoo.com>,
> # I created ~/.xsession and added the line
>
> Try 'chmod +x ~/.xsession'.

Hi all..
here's what's happening:
I created ~/.xsession and it causes X to restart
immediately upon login (I type my password, hit
return(enter) and poof! the screen flickers and
I'm prompted again for user name and password)

I've tried about 5 different variations of the
contents of ~/.xsession, including all lines
commented out.

has anyone ever experienced this?

thanks!!

xucaen