Re: Debian Newbie

Il Tuesday 23 January 2001 08:59, kmself@ix.netcom.com ha scritto:

> > on Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 08:04:30AM +0100, Vittorio De Martino
(v.demart@dada.it) wrote:
> > I've been using RedHat 6.2 and 7.0 for about a year and now I think I'm
> > ready to have a go at some other Linux distro.  Being fascinated by
> > Debian stability and real "Open Source" nature I put the following
> > straightforward preliminary questions:
> >
> > Migrating to Debian potato can I have a USB working
> > support (for an Epson  scanner)  as I have now  automatically set up
> > under RH7?
>
> Check your kernel configuration and USB support included there.  Are you
> running 2.4 or a 2.2.x series kernel?

RedHat 7 comes with kernel 2.2.16-22 which includes an activated USB support
by default; I had a chance to have a look at the kernel tailoring it to fit my hardware.
I wonder whether it's the same for Debian kernel, I mean is there a USB
support included whether activated or not? If there isn't what should I do?

> > Is there any user-friendly utility to setup X  (I'm using KDE2 at this
> > very moment)?
>
> XF86Setup works for me.

Thanks for the suggestion
Vittorio