Still need help and Sorry to Kmself

First: my apologies to kmself. I guess I didn't realize I was sending to

you rather than the list. I hope I haven't used up your good will.
Second:

(amugbmug@pacific.net.ph) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a Debian newbie. I have just used apt-get to upgrade my system
and
> > now I can't seem to log in at all under X. I can login on one of the

> > other virtual terminals (or whatever you call that when you press
> > ctrl-alt F6). What have I done? Can I fix it? Thanks.
>
> Describe your system, actions, and responses in more detail.
>
> How are you starting X?  What display manager (if any) are you using?
> How does it respond:  login denied, X restarts, system crash?  What
> happens when you start X from the command line?  What's in your
> xsession-errors log?

Hi,

okay to answer your questions,  first xdm starts up upon booting. I get
a login screen
with spaces for user name and password. I can type in the information
and the computer
appears to accept the information, goes black for a second or two as
though it's about
to show me my desktop, and then suddenly the login screen simply
reappears again.

Another responder to my help request told me how to turn the xserver off

from the
command line and restart it. This works just fine, although I was
surprised to find
that fvwm95 had been replaced with afterstep for some reason. As for the

.xsession-errors file, to try to answer that question, I booted once,
cleaned out the
file, rebooted and attempted to login as described above once and then
checked
.xsession-errors after login in at the command line.  This is what I
found there:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the
root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted

in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running
the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the
executable.
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
AfterStep: can't open display :0

It looks like Xlib is the main problem. Is it a permissions thing?
Thanks very much
for your help.

Tim