The "debian" way (was: kernel-source-2.2.18pre21)

Ok, thanks to everyone recomending the "debian"
way to compile a kernel. I will look into it...
BTW, where is the best place to look for docs on
how to do this? (I assume that debian must have a
HOWTO on this, so I will search debian.org for
it..)
Now for my curiosity to kick in:
what are the advantages to doing it the "debian"
way? What is the advantage/disadvantage to doing
it the "regular" way? Is the debian way
smoother/easier/cleaner than the "regular" way?
Do other distros have their own way of compiling
kernels? Have any of you don't it the "debian"
way? comments? opinions?

thanks for indulging my knowledge-quest!

xucaen

P.S. I've successfully installed debian on 3
intel machines so far and all is working
smoothly. I love debian! (Can I get this on a
bumper sticker?  ;-)